Spelt Sotto with Swiss chard and caramelized fennel with fennel and strawberries salad
Chef Pati Keilwerth
500 ml vegetable stock
Swiss chard (pink or colorful)
1 garlic clove
Salt, pepper, nutmeg
2 tbsp frying oil
2 tbsp salad oil
1 tbsp apple vinegar or light vinegar
1 tbsp honey
- Wash the spelt. Cook it in a pot with the vegetable stock for 20-25 min.
- Wash the Swiss chard, cut the stalks in pieces of 1 cm. Cut the leaves also in 1 cm stripes. (You can keep some of the stems to cut it in fine stripe for garnish later)
- Chop the onion in thin half slices and dice the garlic.
- Heat 1 tbsp frying oil in a pot, add the onions, garlic and the pieces of stalk. Sautée it with a lid for about 5 min. Then add the Swiss chard leaves and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep it in the pot until the spelt is cooked.
- Half the fennel, cut off the green and save for garnish later.
- Heat 1 tbsp honey with 1 Tbsp frying oil in the pan. Put the fennel with the cut side down in the pan. Keep it on medium heat otherwise the caramel gets too dark and bitter. After 10 min. flip the fennel in the pan and caramelise it for another 3 min.
- Quarter the second fennel lengthwise, cut away the stalk and cut the rest of the fennel into fine strips. Put it in a bowl with a dash of salt and massage it with your hands so it gets softer. Wash the strawberries, cut it in quarters and add to the fennel. Add 1 tbsp Vinegar , 2 tbsp salad oil, salt and pepper. Finally add the fennel green as garnish.
- When the spelt is cooked, add the sour cream and mix it well. Season it with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Then add the Swiss chard, and mix it slightly.
- Serve it in two deep plates with a half fennel each and garnish with strips of Swiss chard (optional).
- The fennel-strawberry salad is served as a side dish.